2005 Endangered Places

Designation Key:  (Designations are a function of governmental entities)

  • NR : Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, National Park Service
  • RTHL : Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, State of Texas
  • SAL : State Archaeological Landmark, State of Texas
  • DD : Demolition Delay for up to 180 days
  • H&C : Historic & Cultural Landmark, City of Fort Worth
  • HSE : Highly Significant & Endangered, City of Fort Worth
  • Yellow : Yellow indicates that the resource was saved or designated.
  • Blue : Blue indicates a deal is in the works that HFW believes has potential.
  • Red : Red indicates that the property was demolished.
  • Green : For repetitive listings
  • ** The owner asked for and received advice from HFW

2005 Endangered Places

  • Bewley-Ellison House, 1301 Summit Avenue, 1915 (DD), Demolished in 2005
  • Bridges over Trinity River, 2nd, Various Locations, maintenance plan for historic bridges in Tarrant County created by TxDOT in 2013, though Vickery Street Bridge was not included
  • Chase Court, one block bounded by Hemphill, Lipscomb, Jefferson, and Allen streets, 1906, earliest planned subdivision in Fort Worth (Became a historic district in 2012)
  • Fort Worth Recreation Building, 2nd, 215 W. Vickery Boulevard, 1927, building has been mothballed and preserved until full rehabilitation is possible
  • Fort Worth Power & Light Co./TXU Plant, 100-300 Blocks of N. Main Street, 1912-15 Smokestacks demolished in 2005.
  • Hemphill Street buildings, from Vickery Boulevard to Felix Street
  • Heritage Park Plaza, 1976-1980, Bluff Street at Houston Street (Listed in the National Register in 2010)
  • Knights of Pythias 2nd,900 E. 2nd Street, 1925, African-American Heritage (H&C)
  • Masonic Home and School, 3600 Wichita St. , 1910 – 1964 (NR) Given to ACH Child & Family Services, some buildings demolished; most buildings saved.
  • Roadside Architecture Big Boy, Highway 80, Jacksboro Hwy
  • Single-Screen Theaters, 2nd, TCU Theater c. 1948, 3055 S. Univ. Dr., demolished, 9-23-06
  • Smith-Swinney Motor Co. 2nd, 1012-20 West 7th Street, 1927, Designed by Wyatt C. Hedrick, demolished on 2-23-07
  • Swift & Company Office Building, 2nd , 1902, 600 E. Exchange Ave., NR, RTHL, purchased in May 2006 by XTO & restored
  • Tandy Wire & Cable, 2nd , 3600 Mc Cart Ave., 1919, purchased by G.A.S. International in 2005
  • Texas & Pacific Warehouse, 2nd, 401 W. Lancaster Ave, 1930-31(NR, RTHL, HSE)
  • Thistle Hill, 1509 Pennsylvania Ave, 1904, (NR, RTHL, H&C) (See 2006)
  • Wayside Church of God in Christ, 2nd, 2100 Beckham Place, 1944-1945 (HSE)