2007 Endangered Places

Designation Key:  (Designations are a function of governmental entities)

  • NR : Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, National Park Service
  • RTHL : Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, State of Texas
  • SAL : State Archaeological Landmark, State of Texas
  • DD : Demolition Delay for up to 180 days
  • H&C : Historic & Cultural Landmark, City of Fort Worth
  • HSE : Highly Significant & Endangered, City of Fort Worth
  • Yellow : Yellow indicates that the resource was saved or designated.
  • Blue : Blue indicates a deal is in the works that HFW believes has potential.
  • Red : Red indicates that the property was demolished.
  • Green : For repetitive listings
  • ** The owner asked for and received advice from HFW

2007 Endangered Places

  • 3000 Block of University Drive, “The Drag” c. 1948, Flash & Dutch’s are tenants & the TCU Theater was demolished on 9-23-06
  • Chase Court, 2nd , one block bounded by Hemphill, Lipscomb, Jefferson and Allen streets, 1906, earliest planned subdivision in Fort Worth (Became a historic district in 2012)
  • Fort Worth Power & Light Co./TXU Plant, 2nd 100-300 Blocks of N. Main Street, 1912-15, Smokestacks demolished in 2005.
  • Hemphill Street buildings from Vickery Boulevard to Felix St. 2nd
  • Knights of Pythias Hall, 3rd , 900 E. 2nd St., 1925, purchased by Townsite Company on Dec. 2007, rezoned from H&C to HSE. In 2011 the building was sold to the Fort Worth Housing Authority and it is being rehabbed into 18 mixed-rate units.
  • North portion of the Near Southside Local Historic District & National Register Historic District Area bounded by Summit, RR Tracks, I-35W, and Pennsylvania Avenue
  • Pioneer Cemeteries including the 1849 Pioneers Rest, 620 Samuels Avenue, and Oakwood Cemetery, 701 Grand Avenue, 1879
  • R. Vickery School, 1905 East Vickery Boulevard, 1910 – 1937
  • Single-Screen Theaters, 3rd, TCU Theater c. 1948, 3055 S. Univ. Dr., demolished, 9-23-06; Ridglea Theater c. 1950 designated a local landmark in 2011 and included in the National Register in 2011 restored in 2012
  • Stairway Entrance to Swift and Co. Packing Plant, NE 23rd Street, 1902 (NR), Restored by the City of Fort Worth
  • Wayside Church of God and Christ, 3rd , 2100 Beckham Place, (HSE) 1944-45
  • William Coleman House, 1071 E. Humbolt St., (NR, H&C), c. 1930, home of V.P. of the African-American bank, Fraternal Bank & Trust. HFW engaged an engineer to establish the house’s structural integrity, and others have been working on a plan.