Robinson House – Henderson

The Robinson House is a large two-story wood-framed structure with a rectangular plan and hipped roof. Situated on a corner lot, the house has full porches on each of its principal façades, joined by a wrap-around terrace. It was built c. 1910 for William M. Robinson, proprietor of a downtown saloon. The house has had … Read more

Gilchrist House – Lipscomb

This two-story gabled L-plan house with veneer of polychrome brick was built in 1937 for the Gilchrist family. The builder was J. L. Miller. The house is part of a small district of substantial residences on several blocks of Lipscomb Street. The Gilchrist House is a contributing resource in the Fairmount-Southside Historic District (local and … Read more

Wimberly House – Lipscomb

The Wimberly House is a two-story brick-veneer structure with an irregular plan, slate hipped roof and gabled bays. The windows are arched on the ground floor. A hipped porch supported by brick piers and Tuscan columns is set in the angle of the front bay with the main house. Fred W. Wimberly commissioned contractor W. … Read more

Reeves-Walker House – Hemphill

This very large two and one-half story house is generally rectangular in plan. Its composition is of a hipped block with gabled bays projecting to the front and sides. Walls are faced in yellow-buff brick. Cast stone or sandstone quoins and window surrounds are painted dark red. The heavily corniced eaves are supported by ornate … Read more

Moore House – Lipscomb

The Moore House is a two-story wood-framed dwelling clad in clapboard on the ground floor and shingled above. It has a rectangular plan, hipped roof and full porch. The bulbous porch columns, set on rusticated concrete block bases, are unusual. The house was built c. 1907 and owned by the Moore family from 1914 through … Read more

Johnson House – Hemphill

The Johnson House is a two and one-half story brick residence with a hipped roof, full hipped porch and large hipped dormers. Built c. 1919, it was the residence of contractor Ernest V. Johnson. Johnson converted the house to apartments in the early 1920s and continued to live there until 1934. Still used for apartments, … Read more

Parker House – Fairmount

A central gabled wing projects forward from the hipped main wing of this two-story wood-framed house. The front porch has been partially enclosed. It was built c. 1909 for Frank R. Parker, a trainmaster with the Frisco Lines. The Parker House is contributing resource in the Fairmount-Southside Historic District. Since originally documented, the enclosure has … Read more

Tillery House – Fairmount

This large two-story wood-framed house, on a prominent corner site, has gabled bays protruding from a hipped block. A hipped gallery-like porch with Tuscan columns wraps around the two principal façades. It was built c. 1909 for Robert Lee Tillery, an assessor and notary public with an office in the county courthouse, and remained in … Read more

Cowan-Kuhlman House – Washington

This one-story wood-framed house has a steeply pitched main wing with gabled bays projecting from the front and side. A shed-roofed porch is supported by tapering Tuscan columns on stone bases. The house is notable for its well-preserved detailing, which includes bargeboard, gable brace, ornamental shingles and quaint five-sided dormer. Built c. 1901 for Andrew … Read more

South Main Street Overpass – Main

Two engineering projects from the 1930s intended to separate automobile and railroad rights-of-way and facilitate traffic on a major Southside artery. The reinforced concrete underpass was designed by engineers of the M-K-T Railroad and the City of Fort Worth; the cost of construction — approximately $125,000 — was shared by the railroad and the city. … Read more