Moore House and Barn – Chapin

This farm complex, set far south of Chapin Road, is comprised of a large, wood frame house, a barn and a water tower. The Queen Anne style farmhouse, of cruciform plan, has a pyramidal roof with cross gables over three-sided bays. Shed-roofed entry porches flank the front, north bay. The one and one-half story house, … Read more

Wallace-Rowan House – Chapin

This large, two and one-half story house is an unusual combination of Period Revival style elements, with steeply pitched gables and a Colonial Revival style entry framed by engaged Tuscan columns. The house is clad in wide clapboard siding and has a shingled roof; a west wing appears to be an addition. The house, many … Read more

Johnson House – Highway 80

A native of Fort Worth, Gillis A. Johnson served as assistant city attorney for Fort Worth from 1921 until 1926, when he joined the prestigious law firm of Cantey, Hanger & McMahon, known as Cantey, Hanger, Johnson, Scarborough & Gooch by the time of Johnson’s death in 1962. With a reputation as one of the … Read more

Dunlap House – Highway 80

Probably constructed as an L-plan, subsequent early additions transformed this frame house into a cruciform plan. The south, front elevation has a three- sided bay below a gable end with variegated shingles and delicate, jigsawn brackets. The one-story house, clad in channel-rustic siding, is in deteriorating condition. The house was originally the owned by James … Read more

Corn House – Highway 377 (East side, North of Tiger Trail)

James William Corn, born in 1850, came to Texas at age seventeen and made a fortune as a cattle and land dealer. In 1922, he was recorded as owning nearly 55,000 acres in Tarrant and other counties, and the following year was called one of the “pioneer builders” of Texas. Corn was also vice-president of … Read more

Lustron House – Marks

Intended as a solution to the nation’s housing problem in the immediate postwar period, the Lustron house was the product of Carl Standlund’s Lustron Corporation which received Reconstruction Finance Corporation funding to manufacture a mass produced, factory built house. With a steel framework entirely clad in two-foot square, porcelain-enameled panels, the new, lustrous look seems … Read more

7613 Mary’s Creek DR – Mary’s Creek

Located on the banks of Mary’s Creek, these two identical houses of rectangular plan have gable roofs which cover full, front porches supported by plain posts. The houses are clad in narrow milled wood siding and each has a single, off-center entry. Research has not turned up a conclusive history of the site, although it … Read more

9723 Santa Clara DR – Santa Clara

Perhaps an individual’s innovative solution to the postwar housing problem, this unusual house is constructed of two city buses, placed parallel, and joined by a gabled, wood framed section which contains the entry to the living room. A flat-roofed, frame garage has been added to the east side. One bus contains a bedroom and bathroom, … Read more

Jackson Cemetery – Chapin

Jackson Cemetery served the rural communities of Mary’s Creek and Chapin; the earliest marked grave is dated 1867. John L Jackson, a banker, lawyer, rancher and large area landowner here and in Weatherford, acquired this and surrounding property from the heirs of LH. and Lizzie Chapin in 1899. Jackson’s prominent gravestone, dated 1919, is located … Read more

Mary’s Creek Bridge – Chapin School

Extant plans in the Tarrant County Public Works office show that D.A. Davis, County Engineer, was responsible for the design of the concrete end piers for this one-lane bridge in 1927. The steel pony truss bridge apparently was erected soon after, as a second set of plans for Project 1041-11, by Henry Cook, County Engineer, … Read more