1718 Grand AVE – Grand

The history of this house is problematic. It is one of the best preserved of several stylistically similar frame houses built on Grand Avenue between 1905 and 1910, yet the residence does not appear in directories until 1929. The large, one and one-half story house features a gabled roof which slopes down to cover a … Read more

Armstrong House – Grand

William L. Armstrong, a bookkeeper, and his son first resided in this house in 1907; the house remained in the Armstrong family until 1953. The large, two-story frame house has a one-story porch which curves around the east and south elevations to take advantage of the perspective from the Grand Avenue bluffs. The house is … Read more

Townsen House – Grand

E. Morgan Townsen and his wife, Hazel, purchased this bluff-top site 117 on Grand Avenue in 1922 and resided here by 1926. Townsen was a department manager for Armour & Co. and later worked in insurance and real estate. The one-story bungalow, clad in red brick veneer, features an offset, gabled portico and an adjoining … Read more

Ross House – Park

Called at one time the world’s leading horse and mule dealer, Waddy R. Ross was a self-made millionaire who made his fortune by supplying horses and mules during both world wars. Arriving in Fort Worth in 1905, he and his brothers established the Ross Brothers Horse and Mule Co. Purchasing three lots in 1917 at … Read more

Marble Curb Signs, c. 1905 – North Side

These marble curb markers, inscribed with the street name, exist on only a few older, prime residential streets in Fort Worth. They may have been installed as early as 1905, the year North Fort Worth Townsite Co. opened Belmont Terrace Addition for development; further research is needed to document them.