Weissenborn House – Hillcrest

Katherine and William C. Weaver, superintendent of merchandise for Montgomery Ward & Co. (2600 West 7th Street), were the first tenants of this house in 1925. A. L. Weissenbom was residing in the house by 1927 and purchased it in 1934. According to family sources, Meredith R. Carb was the builder. The frame bungalow of … Read more

Hi Mount School – Lafayette

Named for the subdivision, Hi Mount School was built by Arlington Heights Independent School District, and annexed by Fort Worth Independent School District in 1922. Architects of the small elementary school were Clarkson and Gaines; Harry B. Friedman was contractor. The school was informally renamed Thomas Place School after North and South Hi Mount Schools … Read more

Hammer House – Hillcrest

This one-story, wood-frame bungalow of rectangular plan has a gable roof set parallel to the street and a full recessed porch. A pleasingly symmetrical facade arrangement is created by the central peaked and arched portico set on slender Tuscan columns flanked by small, eccentric gablets carried on clustered boxed posts. The house is first listed … Read more

Hill Crest Service Station – Camp Bowie

Hill Crest Service Station, operated by Ben Eastman, Sr. was the first tenant at this site in 1925. He ran the station until 1961. The stucco brick gas station features stepped parapets and inset tiles above the double bay drive-through. Owner of the site from 1922-55 was James T. Taylor, a contractor.

Arlington Heights Firehall No. 18 – Carleton

One of approximately ten Bungalow style fire stations constructed by the City of Fort Worth in 1922-23, the Arlington Heights Firehall No. 18 opened October 16, 1923. Its style fits in well with the neighborhood in which it occupies a prominent corner site. Charles F. Allen, the architect of several of the other bungalow fire … Read more

Long House – Carleton

This one-story, wood-frame bungalow features spreading gable roofs supported by slender tied posts on brick bases. First residents of the houses were Marion L. and Margaret Long; he was co-owner of Yates and Long Insurance Co.

Grammer House – Carleton

This wood-frame house was constructed by builder O. L. Estes for Robert M. Grammer, a druggist employed by the W. C. Stripling Co. for many years. The simple vernacular form of a hip-roofed block features a central gable porch. The house has survived relatively unaltered, and remains in the Grammer family.

W.C. Stripling High School No. 56/Stripling Middle School No. 156 – Clover

W. C. S tripling High School was named for the important local merchant who contributed funds for the landscaping of the school grounds. The architectural firm of Wiley G. Clarkson and Co. was responsible for the school’s design in eclectic Georgian Revival style. K. H. Muse was general contractor. The name was changed to Stripling … Read more

Walton House – Hillcrest

C. Harry Walton, a partner in the insurance firm of Mitchell, Gartner & Walton, purchased this Hillcrest property in late 1924, and resided here with his wife, Lotta P., the following year. The one-story bungalow, of generally rectangular plan, has a stucco exterior. The jerkinhead gabled roof is complemented by an offset, jerkinhead portico; the … Read more

Hoera House – Hillcrest

Carl L. Hoera, of Hoera-Rosenthall Safe Co., and his wife, Jennie, purchased this Hillcrest property in 1922 and resided here the following year. The Carb Building Co. was most likely responsible for the construction of the residence. The charming, one-story brick veneer house has a whimsical front elevation and finely detailed wood trim. The Period … Read more