Yeates-Holifield House – Cooper

This two-story wood-framed house is rectangular in plan, with a hipped roof, flaring eaves, and symmetrically placed windows. It was built c. 1908 and lived in for several years by Elijah Yeates, a real estate agent. William A. Holifield, an executive with the Texas Manufacturing Co., occupied the house during the 1920s and 1930s. Although … Read more

Bewley-Mullins House – Cooper

The two-story wood-framed Bewley-Mullins House is rectangular in plan, clad in grey-painted shingles and has a combination gabled and hipped roof. A porch, with rusticated concrete block base and tapering wood columns, and contiguous terrace, has been enclosed. The earliest recorded owner, in the 1909 city directory, was Edwin E. Bewley, president of an insurance … Read more

Fry House – Cooper

The Fry House is a one-story hipped-roofed residence distinguished by carefully scaled Ionic porch columns and dormers with Mission parapets. It was built for Whitford T. Fry c. 1907. Fry had a new house built on Elizabeth Boulevard in 1911, the first in Ryan Place (see 1112 Elizabeth Boulevard). This house is located in an … Read more

Scougal House – Hemphill

A small wood-framed L-plan house notable for over-scaled fluted pilasters on the front wall, exaggerated eave returns, and ornamental window surrounds with denticulated cornices. The first recorded owner was Ernest R. Scougal, a court stenographer who worked at the Tarrant County Courthouse. This resource has been demolished.

Clinic – 8th

In 1952, Dr. E. Samuel Cunningham had a clinic constructed at 921 8th Avenue, continuing the trend of replacing residential structures with medical-related facilities around the hospital district. City directories indicate that he initially had a solo medical practice at this location. In 1954, he purchased the adjacent lot to the north. By 1958 he … Read more

Apartment Building – 8th

This two-story apartment building contains four units. Prairie Style in inspiration, it has an overhanging flat roof and a band of casement windows along the front. Built c. 1919, it is one of a group of early, well-designed apartment buildings in the Southside. With further documentation, particularly the identity of the architect, the building may … Read more

Group of Five Houses – Oak Grove

This group of five wood-framed shotgun houses is clustered on a corner site. They were built c. 1906 to 1908. Early city directories list black residents employed as servants, laborers, porters, chauffeurs, etc. As a significant concentration of an important and increasingly rare folk house type, the group appears to be eligible for the National … Read more

Oxsheer House – Pennsylvania

Fountain Goodlet Oxsheer, Sr. (1849-1931) was a prominent cattleman and rancher. A native Texan, he moved to Fort Worth in 1895. He eventually owned at least eleven ranches in West Texas and one in Mexico, totaling nearly one million acres. Oxsheer was a pioneer in the breeding of range cattle; he was among the first … Read more

Commercial Building – Pennsylvania

This one-story commercial building, of brick and hollow tile construction, has a veneer of cast stone. The curving façade takes splendid advantage of a prominent corner location at the intersection of two thoroughfares. The cast stone frieze and parapet are particularly fine. The frieze incorporates both a Gothic Revival triforium and an Art Deco zigzag … Read more

Berry Bros. & Donohue Cleaners – Pennsylvania

            This commercial building, conspicuously sited at the intersection of several important streets, was constructed in 1930 as the Berry Bros. & Donohue Laundry, who occupied the premises until 1984. Of brick construction with stucco veneer, the building was planned originally as an “L” to provide for parking on its … Read more