Riverside Colored Public School – LaSalle

The Riverside Independent School District built this two-room, brick school in 1911 for the black community in Riverside. During 1906-07, the first year that the Riverside Independent School District was in operation, classes for black students were taught at Corinth Colored Church which provided space under a lease arrangement. Gertie Murchison was the teacher. In … Read more

Fort Worth Power and Light Company Substation – Race

Fort Worth Power and Light built this early brick power substation to serve the Riverside area. It has a hipped roof with a gabled peak and wide eaves supported by exposed rafters. The large central entry was flanked by round arch windows which have been bricked in. The city directory first lists this Fort Worth … Read more

3407 Race ST – Race

This one-story house clad in clapboard siding has a steeply pitched central block with front and side projecting gables. The front half porch has a hipped roof and handsome lathe turned columns. Although city tax records indicate that this house was built in 1915, its form and ornamental details, such as the patterned shingles in … Read more

3321 A-B Race ST – Race

This complex on Race Street has four identical detached units each with its own garage. Each small house has a gable roof with exposed roof rafters and simply framed windows and doors. The buildings are unaltered, in good condition, and consequently valuable examples of low cost, cluster housing from this period. The complex was built … Read more

J.A. McAdams Building – Race

Sited on the corner of Race Street and Riverside Drive, this commercial building has a front one-story 1929 storefront and a two-story rear addition dating from 1957. The storefront has brick walls and a stepped parapet with cast-stone urn finials. Segmental arch store windows have small paned transoms. The first tenant in the building was … Read more

420-22 Paradise ST – Paradise

These two identical duplexes were built as low-cost housing in 1942. The simple gable roof build¬ings, clad in rustic siding, have central shed roofed porches. Shaffer-Billingsley, Inc. built both duplexes for $2,000 each. W Garland Ellis, a real estate and insurance agent, bought the buildings soon after construction, and owned them as rental properties until … Read more

Thornton House – Marigold

This quaint sandstone veneer house features two front gables intersected by the gable of the main body of the house. One small gable forms a separate bay, and the large steeply pitched main sable has wide eaves which shelter low, round arch openings. The combination of form and materials gives the house a diminutive doll … Read more

Garland House – Lawnwood

This one-story shotgun plan house has an offset gable porch supported byplain posts. Built in 1940, the house is a late example of a unique regional house type. Lewis Garland built this house shortly after purchasing the property in 1939. He sold the house to Dorothy and Clinton Woolverton in 1942, who used it as … Read more

Bolton House – Lawnwood

One of the early houses in this area, this house has a high hipped roof which cantilevers at the front to form a full porch supported by box columns on concrete bases with inset crosses. Raymond and Mabel Bolton built the house about 1915; Mr. Bolton was a carpenter and he probably constructed the house … Read more

Kilgore House – Retta

According to tax records, this house was built in 1907 for C.A. and Myrtle Phillips. The one-story frame house has a hipped roof and aprojecting front gable with a flanking hip-roofed porch supported by turned posts. L.M. Kilgore, a carpenter, purchased the house in 1925 and enlarged it. It remained in the Kilgore family until … Read more