Crown Machine and Tool Company – Lancaster

William Harrison, president of Crown Machine and Tool Co., purchased this site in 1943 for $3,000 and had the building erected in 1944. Architects Fooshee and Cheek of Dallas were responsible for the design. Harrison’s firm manufactured machinery and produced shells for the war effort; with peacetime, the company produced small molded plastic items until … Read more

3004-06 W 6th ST – 6th

This apartment duplex was built by contractor Ralph B auer in 1941 for owner Fred Irby Moore. A two-story combination of two garages on the first floor and dwelling spaces above, the duplex exhibits features of the Moderne and International styles. Flanking the central window on the second floor are two six-light windows of fixed … Read more

Whitehead’s Landscape Architects – University

Whitehead’s Landscape Architects and Contractors first occupied this structure; Mrs. Nell Whitehead, the head of the landscape firm, resided upstairs. The property was purchased in 1944 by Dr. Curtis S. Durham, a dentist. The French period eclectic structure features a steeply pitched hip roof clad in tile over walls veneered in Coronado shellstone. Arched windows … Read more

Topsy’s Cafe – University

Constructed in 1947 by Jack Corn, contractor, Topsy’s Cafe was operated by Jack and Vivian Allen for over 25 years. The diner’s smooth aluminum sides feature horizontal and vertical banding around the doors and windows. Vertical reeded metal covers the curbed front corner of the clean, streamlined building. A stucco-walled structure has been added to … Read more