3004-06 W 6th ST – 6th

This apartment duplex was built by contractor Ralph B auer in 1941 for owner Fred Irby Moore. A two-story combination of two garages on the first floor and dwelling spaces above, the duplex exhibits features of the Moderne and International styles. Flanking the central window on the second floor are two six-light windows of fixed and casement horizontal arrangement, framed by horizontal applied strips to accentuate the banded effect. The same treatment is used on the corner windows, which are framed also by cantilevered canopies and sills. An unusual example of the use of this style for a domestic structure, the apartment block has survived intact. Ownership has remained within the family.

Leave a Comment