Brentmore Apartments – 8th

The Brentmore Apartments is an apartment court consisting of two mirror-image buildings flanking a central walkway. Each structure is rectangular, two stories in height and clad in brick. Gabled half-timbered bays project from the hipped roof. Charles and Virtle Pruden commissioned the Worth Building & Investment Co. to build the apartments at a cost of $30,000 in 1928. The Prudens managed the complex, which was listed in city directories as the Brentmore Apartments. In design and planning, they are very similar to a number of other apartment complexes built in the Southside in the 1920s. The lower photo was taken in 1990 after the brick was painted and the windows replaced with dark-tinted fixed units. The buildings now serve a commercial function.

Leave a Comment