Burns House – Amanda

This one and one-half story wood frame house was built by William D. and Ella Virginia Burns about 1915. Mr. Burns was a farmer, and the couple later ran a grocery store located on the corner of Amanda and Willie streets. William Burns also operated the water system for the community; he sold water pumped from a well on his store property for a flat rate of $2.00 per month. The house has a hip roof bisected by a cross gable which creates the half story. There is a central gabled dormer over the recessed half porch. Although it has been altered by the addition of aluminum siding, the house is an early structure in the Stop Six community, and is associated with a family that has had an important role in the history and business affairs of the community. The house is still owned by Burns family descendants.

Leave a Comment