Central Methodist Church – Lipscomb

The Central Methodist Church was organized in 1905 with 117 charter members. Construction began on the Tudor Gothic sanctuary in 1909. Designed by architect W. C. Meador, the contractor was Butcher & Sweeney. It is a gabled rectangular structure with massive crenellated tower on the west façade, faced in warm red brick. A gymnasium was added in 1922 and a three-story high-basement education building in 1923. The latter mimics the sanctuary in detailing and materials. A chapel and administration building, designed by C. O. Chromaster, were added in 1954. The complex was purchased by the Panther Boys Club in 1972. The sanctuary may be eligible for the National Register following assessment of its integrity. The church is a contributing resource in the Fairmount-Southside Historic District (local and national). In 1995, the Boys and Girls Club sought permission to demolish the buildings in this complex. To save it from demolition, area residents formed the Southside Preservation Association (SPA) and acquired the property from the Panther Boys Club in 1996. Since that time volunteers have been working to restore the buildings and the facility is now known as Southside Preservation Hall. SPA offers a variety of social, cultural and educational programs. It remains a remarkable preservation success story.

Leave a Comment