Commercial Building – Lancaster

A two-story brick structure with rectangular plan and flat roof, on a corner location. Storefronts are framed in cast-iron piers, stamped with the names, “Walker T. Maddox, Heck & Baker: contractors.” Second story windows have segmental arches and are grouped in bays divided by projecting brick piers. A corbelled cornice wraps around the two principal façades. Alterations include the boarding up of second-story windows and new brick infill at the base of the storefront windows. The building was constructed c. 1908 for William J. Boaz, a prominent businessman and real estate investor. The earliest recorded occupants were a druggist, pool parlor, doctor’s office, and, upstairs, a boarding house. Various other commercial tenants have used the building over the years. Its design and program — commercial spaces on the ground floor and residential flats above — represent a widespread building type of the period. It is now owned by Union Gospel Mission. Alterations have been made to the storefronts and second story windows. The lower photo was taken in 2007.

Leave a Comment