Commercial Building – Magnolia

This diminutively scaled brick commercial building has a central half-round parapet containing a cast stone medallion inscribed with the date “1927.” The original occupant, a water-heating company, stayed only several years. Since then, the building has had a succession of tenants, mostly cafes. “The Little Diner” has been here since 1981. The storefront has been altered slightly.
The building is a contributing resource in the Fairmount-Southside Historic District (national) and was designated a Historic and Cultural Landmark in 1997. Daedalus Development rehabilitated this building along with 709 Magnolia Avenue and 1300 and 1304 Hemphill Street in 1999 (see 1300 Hemphill for more information). Ray Boothe was the architect for the project. The building now houses a different restaurant.

Leave a Comment