Darnall House – 5th

The Darnall House is a one-story wood-framed dwelling with a rectangular plan and gabled roof, clad in narrow clapboard siding. A full shingled porch, recessed beneath the gabled slope, consists of a single wide arch springing from boxed posts. Slender Tuscan columns flank the entry stairs. The house was built in 1909 as a speculative property for Elmer J. Billick, co-owner of the Worth Realty Co. Mrs. Emma Darnall, a widow, bought the house in early 1910 and lived there until 1935. The contractor was J. E. Rice. The Darnall House is a contributing resource in the Fairmount-Southside Historic District (local and national). The accompanying photo was taken in 1990.

Leave a Comment