Hightower House – First

Daniel Hightower and his wife Fannie Belle built this house in about 1905. Mrs. Hightower was the sister of Nora Cutchin McCall, the wife of Robert McCall who owned the house and farm at 3413 East First Street. Mr. Hightower operated a grocery story on his property until the mid-1940s. The store building (3445 E. First Street) is still standing on the southeast corner of the property. The house has a steeply pitched hipped roof with a front gable and a pedimented entrance portico. Fishscale shingles in the gables and the angled front bay indicate a house dating from about 1905; the full-front porch (curving around to the side elevation) with its brick bases and tapered box posts is a c. 1915 addition, indicative of the later Craftsman/Bungalow influence. Adjacent to the house was a croquet court where league games were played. The Hightowers occupied the house until 1964.

Leave a Comment