J.A. McAdams Building – Race

Sited on the corner of Race Street and Riverside Drive, this commercial building has a front one-story 1929 storefront and a two-story rear addition dating from 1957. The storefront has brick walls and a stepped parapet with cast-stone urn finials. Segmental arch store windows have small paned transoms. The first tenant in the building was F. Albert Hillard’s Furniture Co. Cal-Aero of Texas took over the space in 1944. James A. McAdams, Riverside businessman and civic leader, developed this site. He had purchased the land in 1899, and the property remained in the McAdams family until 1984. This structure has been demolished, but is retained in the survey for purposes of documentation.

Leave a Comment