Streetlights – Riverside

With the annexation of Riverside by the City of Fort Worth in 1922, a program of public improvements com¬menced which included replacing streetlights along major traffic arteries. The streetlights along Riverside Drive (originally Frey Avenue) were placed in a center esplanade in 1927. In 1936, under a Public Works Ad¬ministration project, the city moved the lights back to the curb as part of resurfacing Riverside Drive. Westin¬ghouse Corporation manufactured the streetlamps known as Hollowspan Post #9740. The streetlamps have tapered octagonal marbelite shafts and frosted bell-shaped heads on an ornamental metal base. Only 14 of the original 65 lamps along Riverside Drive remain.

Leave a Comment