– Yucca

The original Oakhurst School dating from 1927-28 constitutes the small east wing of the structure extant today. Built at the cost of $28,000, this small brick structure had only four classrooms and an office. The building was designed by Wiley G. Clarkson, who designed many fine Fort Worth schools, including most of the buildings at the Masonic Home and School of Texas (P 86-97). The contractor for the building was A.H. Smith.

The Oakhurst subdivision grew rapidly in the early 1930s, and the school had to accommodate additional students in temporary buildings. As part of the expansion program for public schools initiated in the 1930s, the School Board approved a $122,971 addition designed by J.B. Davies Co.; Quisle and Andrews were the contractors. The 1935 two-story addition sensitively blends with the original building while providing twelve additional classrooms. This handsome concrete-framed ochre brick building has a red tile roof and a projecting gabled, central entrance bay ornamented with rustication, Corinthian columns, a second-floor balcony and an elaborate baroque window surround. Wiley G. Clarkson also designed a small rear addition in 1953 that included a new auditorium and two classrooms. The school’s windows have recently been filled with metal panels to accommodate an air-con-ditioning system. With restoration of the original window configuration, the school would be a contributor to the proposed Public Schools National Register Thematic Group.

Leave a Comment