Hicks House – Harrison

A sophisticated Prairie Style house with a high central block and low symmetrical dependencies that project forward like small pavilions. Windows are grouped into over-scaled, abstract grids. The brick walls have been painted and the columns of the porte-cochere replaced. The first recorded owner was Harry Hicks, president of the King Midas Oil and Gas … Read more

McCauley House – Hawthorne

The McCauley House is two stories with a clipped gabled roof and a forward projecting entry wing whose gabled roof extends eccentrically almost to ground level. The red brick walls are pimpled with rocks and large clinkers. Built in 1931 by contractor J. D. Pope as a speculative property for B. K. Webb, the house … Read more

LaCava Clothes Cleaners – Hemphill

This two-story brick commercial building is prominently sited at the important intersection of Hemphill and Magnolia. Built in 1927, it first housed the W. B. LaCava Clothes Cleaning business. In 1939, Frank Hamra opened Modern Drugs on the premises, which remains an institution in the area. The building is a contributing resource in the Fairmount-Southside … Read more

Westbrook House – Winton

This large and impressive Tudor Revival house, built in 1928, was designed by Fort Worth architect Joseph R. Pelich for R. A. and Gladys Westbrook. Mr. Westbrook was founder of the Westbrook Oil Co. The house is two and one-half stories in height with brick walls and gabled roof clad in slate. Gabled bays, half-timbered … Read more

Brick Streets – First

Between the late 1890s and the mid-1950s, paving of streets with brick was common throughout the United States, especially in downtown areas and wealthy residential neighborhoods. Main Street was first paved with Thurber brick about 1897-99. The street surface was rebricked in 1939 during the Depression. Other downtown streets were also paved with brick during … Read more

Packers AVE – 14th

Brick streets along E. Exchange Avenue and Packers Avenue were laid about 1912 following a 1911 fire in the stockyards area. The streets in and around the industrial compounds were most likely paved during the early phases of plant construction. After the annexation of the North Side, the Thurber Construction Co., under contract to the … Read more