Laneri School – Hemphill

John B. Laneri, a native of Italy, was a prominent Fort Worth businessman (see 902 S. Jennings). He built this school for boys in 1921 in memory of his first wife. Originally for grades 5-9, it served as Fort Worth’s first Catholic high school from 1928 to 1962, with classes taught by Benedictine priests until … Read more

Westminster Presybyterian Church – 8th

College Avenue Presbyterian Church purchased this property in 1928 and changed its name to Westminster Presbyterian Church. The congregation, which had its origins in 1888 and was formally organized in 1897, constructed this building in phases. The basement was completed in 1929. In 1940, the congregation announced that the plans for the upper story, designed … Read more

Commercial Building – Pennsylvania

This one-story commercial building, of brick and hollow tile construction, has a veneer of cast stone. The curving façade takes splendid advantage of a prominent corner location at the intersection of two thoroughfares. The cast stone frieze and parapet are particularly fine. The frieze incorporates both a Gothic Revival triforium and an Art Deco zigzag … Read more

Broadway Baptist Church – Broadway

This large Gothic Revival structure, designed by Hedrick & Stanley and erected between 1949 and 1952, is the fourth church building to occupy this site. The congregation was organized on December 31, 1882, adopting the name South Side Baptist Church. In 1886 the fellowship erected a wood-framed building on this site and changed its name … Read more

Christ the King Episcopal Church – Lackland

The congregation of Christ the King Episcopal Church was established as a mission from All Saints Episcopal Church (5001 Crestline Road) in 1953. Needing larger quarters by 1975, the congregation acquired a 1907 Methodist church from Parker County. The church structure, used at the time as a hay barn, was moved to the present site … Read more

St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church – Lamar

107 901 Lamar Street [NR], St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church, 1909-12; 1949; 1983. St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church was designed by the Fort Worth firm of Sanguinet and Staats and built by William Miller Sons and Co. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Ground was broken on April 13, 1909, but work halted after the foundation was completed so that … Read more

St. Patrick Church/ Co-Cathedral/ Cathedral – Throckmorton

The oldest continuously used church building in Fort Worth, St. Patrick Church was erected beginning in 1888 according to plans prepared by architect James J. Kane. Kane practiced in Fort Worth from 1876 until his death in 1901. His other projects include St. Ignatius Academy, a Tarrant County jail, and circa 1882 renovations to the … Read more

Blackstone Hotel – 601 Main Street

601 Main Street [NR/CFW/Sky(NR)], Blackstone Hotel, 1929; 1952-53.  One of Fort Worth’s great hotels from the boom years of the 1920s, the Blackstone Hotel’s stepped and spired silhouette has been a prominent part of the city’s skyline since 1929.  Designed by the nationally known firm of Mauran, Russell, and Crowell in association with Fort Worth … Read more

Davidson-Haltom House – Alta

C. J. and Edythe Davidson purchased this large River Crest property on the bluffs overlooking the West Fork of the Trinity River in 1935. “Red” Davidson was president of Davidson Drilling Co. and Cascade Petroleum Co.. Plans dated September 8, 1936 were drawn by Joseph R. Pelich; the residence was constructed by contractor Herschel D. … Read more

Connell Baptist Church – Bryce

Connell Baptist Church, 1949-51. Arlington Heights Baptist Church members formed a congregation on January 4, 1925. Construction of a building now used for education began the same year and was completed in 1929. It was extensively altered in the 1960s. Renamed in 1929 G. H. Connell Memorial Baptist Church after an influential charter member, the … Read more