Hawkins Gulf Service Station – White Settlement

Earl L. Hawkins first operated this service station in 1951. The Moderne style building with projecting canopy is sheathed in gleaming white enameled metal siding with blue streamlining. The site was acquired by Zion Temple Assembly of God in 1970.

Roy White Paint Company – White Settlement

This commercial structure was constructed by contractor A. W. Flynt for Roy White to house the Roy White Paint Co. The second floor contains one apartment. Of brick and hollow tile construction, the building sports a veneer of smooth cast-stone with Moderne details. A 1956 one-story addition faced in stone veneer adjoins the structure to … Read more

Foch Street Underpass – Lancaster

Foch Street Underpass under W. Lancaster Bridge. The W. Lancaster Bridge, opened June 14, 1939, was planned to overpass three railroad tracks, Trinity River and Trinity Park, to connect W. Lancaster with E. Lancaster Avenue, and to reduce congestion on W. 7th Street. Originally left out of the bridge plan, Foch Street Underpass was added … Read more

Robin House – White Settlement

This house was built by contractor Martin E. Robin and his partner Joe R. Condron as a residence for the Robin family. Architect Fred W. Murphee designed the house. Erected in 1941, it remains in the Robin family. This extraordinary onestory house features a smoothly stuccoed surface under a flat roof. The asymmetrical plan exhibits … Read more

Southwestern Bell Telephone Co. Office and Exchange No.7 – Pershing

This telephone exchange was originally constructed in 1930 as a one-story building clad in light yellow brick with Modeme terra cotta spandrel panels and portico. The general contracting firm of William Southwell, Inc., is named in telephone company records as responsible for construction and design. Two fairly sympathetic additions to the rectangular block have occurred … Read more

Warner House – Goldenrod

This single story, stucco clad house is a particularly successful adaptation of the Mission Revival style to a modem house. Built in 1930, the house is designed as a series of projecting and recessed Mission style parapets. A low wall and segmental arch Mission parapet with a wrought iron gate enclose a small front courtyard. … Read more

2405 E Belknap ST – Belknap

Roland A. McGinnis, owner and contractor, built this structure in 1940 as a pick-up station for Best’s Laundry, Inc. A stucco on wood frame Moderne style building, the structure has a central entry flanked by horizontal win¬dows with rounded ends. This small building exhibits aspects of the nautical inspiration found in the Moderne style. In … Read more

Universal Mills Office Building – Beach

Universal Mills, one of the largest grain milling companies in the state, moved its operation to Fort Worth in 1922. The company purchased the Smith Brothers Grain Co. site in 1925. President and General Manager Gaylord J. Stone guided the company, which produced stock feed and flour, and was an important leader in the business … Read more

AAA Package Store – Henderson

The first documented business to occupy this one-story brick structure was AAA Package Store, owned and operated by Max Ellis. Probably constructed in 1946, the Streamline Moderne building has housed a number of retail establishments.

Arlington Heights Methodist Church – Camp Bowie

Arlington Heights Methodist Church was formally organized in 1923. Continuing growth of the congregation led to the 1928-29 construction of the Religious Education Building which housed church services until 1951. Of buff brick with cast-stone trim, the Tudor Revival structure stands two stories over a high basement. Steeply pitched cross gables and gabled wall dormers … Read more