3014 E Fourth ST – Fourth

According to tax records, this house was constructed about 1895, making it one of the earliest residences in the Riverside area. It is an unusual, large two-story house clad in horizontal siding on the first floor and fish-scale shingles on the second. The house has a steeply pitched gable roof with half-timbering in the gable. The small gabled entry portico appears to be a later addition. The building’s form and details exhibit elements of the Queen Anne style popular during the 1890s, but the city directory does not show a listing for this house until 1927 when it was used as rental property. Clara Garrison purchased the house in 1939 and occupied it until 1950. This building may be eligible for the National Register with further research on its historic importance.

Leave a Comment