Duplex Houses – 809-11, 813, 815, 901, 903, 905, 907 E. Second Street

809-11, 813, 815, 901, 903, 905, 907 E. Second Street [NR/ESHD(NR)], Duplex Houses, c. 1925. Located in a historically African-American neighborhood, this row of metal-roofed duplex houses provides a classic image of working class housing in 1920s Texas. The earliest tenants included janitors, maids, a waitress, a cook, and the proprietor of the nearby Knights of Pythias barber shop. At the time the bungalow duplexes were constructed, the property was owned by John Murrin, a wholesale grocer. One of the seven duplexes has been demolished; the remaining residences are potentially eligible for the National Register. The property is also a contributor to the potential East Second Street National Register Historic District.

Leave a Comment