Andrews House – Lipscomb

After the removal of the Craddock House from this site, the Andrews House/Turner Office was moved to this location from 830 8th Avenue in 2004. The first recorded owner at the former location was T. A. Andrews. The Andrews family owned the house until 1944. It was used by the Edna Gladney Home in the 1950s and then became the office for Dr. Jack Turner c. 1959. Turner sold the property in 2004 to Plaza Medical Center and offered to donate the house to anyone who would move it to a different site. Tax records indicate that the one and one-half story house was constructed c. 1900. It has a hipped roof with two steeply pitched gabled dormers on the façade and a full-width hipped roof porch with square wood columns that wraps around to the south elevation. Most of the house has been sheathed with asbestos siding. Although not original to the site, it would be considered a contributing resource in the Fairmount-Southside Historic District (local and national).

Leave a Comment