Apartment Building – Leuda

This two-story apartment building is sheathed with stucco over a wood frame. In composition, it has two hipped wings joined by a terraced breezeway. It was built in 1936 by contractor R. E. Steagall for Edney and Annie Duke. The complex fits sensitively into a residential neighborhood. This building was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2005 as a contributing resource in the Leuda-May Historic District. Annie Duke was Steagall’s sister. The building was constructed with material salvaged from the A. J. Roe House which formerly sat in the center of this block. The Carillon Group of Dallas rehabilitated the building in 2001 using the federal Investment Tax Credit program for historic buildings. The recent photo is from 2006.

Leave a Comment