Arlington Heights Firehall No. 18 – Carleton

One of approximately ten Bungalow style fire stations constructed by the City of Fort Worth in 1922-23, the Arlington Heights Firehall No. 18 opened October 16, 1923. Its style fits in well with the neighborhood in which it occupies a prominent corner site. Charles F. Allen, the architect of several of the other bungalow fire stations, was responsible for the design; general contractor B. B. Adams and brick contractor Joe Cauker constructed the building. The two-story, hipped-roof block features a projecting garage wing to the east and an offset projecting portico to the south. Tan brick and cast-stone trim compose the veneer, topped with a red tile roof. The offset entry porch has been closed in to function as an office, and the garage door, originally a false wall of imitation brick and two windows, has been replaced with a steel frame door. The structure is a contributor to the proposed Bungalow Fire Stations National Register Thematic Group.

Leave a Comment