Berry-Webber House – Adams

This was the first residence built in a subdivision named Swastika Place, opened in 1907 by D. T. Bomar and John W. Broad. In its accentuated brackets and other wood detailing, it shows the influence of Craftsman Style houses from the West Coast where Broad lived from 1896 to 1906. The first owner was George S. Berry, a retired banker from West Texas. Charles K. Lee, later a state bar president, bought the house in 1914. Since 1944 it has been owned by Mrs. Gunhild Weber, a native of Norway and a Fort Worth business executive. The house was designated a Recorded Texas Historical Landmark in 1978, and appears to be eligible for the National Register. The Berry-Weber House is a contributing resource in the Fairmount-Southside Historic District (local and national). It is included in Margaret Culbertson’s book Texas Houses Built by the Book: The Use of Published Designs, 1850-1925. In 2002, Mrs. Weber’s daughter, Kathleen Weber, donated the house to Historic Fort Worth, Inc. shortly before her death. This gift helped establish the organization’s Gifts of Property Program. It was then purchased by Chris McCabe and Rodney Wade who made extensive structural repairs to the house.

Leave a Comment