Bevan House – 6th

The Bevan House is a large two-story wood-framed house clad in buff and yellow brick. It is rectangular in plan with a red-tiled hipped roof. It has a nearly symmetrical composition of a central chimney flanked by paired windows. A projecting portico with arched entry is balanced by a roof-terraced arched loggia at opposite ends of the house. One of a number of residences designed by Fort Worth dentist M. J. Bisco, it was built in 1928 for Lionel W. Bevan, owner of The Fair, a well-known downtown department store. The Bevans owned the house until 1975. It may be eligible for the National Register as the residence of a prominent local merchant and as one of the most successful works of a prolific amateur designer. An awning has been added over the one-story section on the south side of the house. The loggia enclosure also has been replaced. It was designated Demolition Delay in 1995. The lower photo was taken in 2007

Leave a Comment