Church-Beggs House – Mistletoe

One of the most imposing structures on a street containing a number of large residences, this two and one-half story Tudor Revival house was built in 1923 by Mrs. Anna Church for herself and her son and his family. The house was planned with separate entries and living units. The massive gabled central wing is clad in ashlar limestone, with asymmetrical forward projecting gabled wings, half-timbered with white stucco infill. The entry, with cast stone pilastered surround, is flanked by an enormous stairwell window containing leaded and stained-glass panes depicting a fleur-de-lis, sailing vessel and other motifs. The house is set back from the street and is approached by a circular drive. George Beggs, Jr., prominent in real estate and insurance, purchased the house in 1929. It served as the Broadway Baptist Church parsonage from 1936 to 1971. The house appears to be eligible for the National Register for its architectural significance. The Church-Beggs House is a contributing resource in the Mistletoe Heights Historic District (local).

Leave a Comment