Commercial Building c.1910 – Exchange

Early ownership has not been documented clearly for this structure, which was erected c.1910. Located on W. Exchange Avenue near its major intersection with N. Main Street, the two-story brick building has housed a number of establishments. During the l920s, King’s Cafe and Jimmie’s Place occupied the street level with hotel rooms above. Morn recently, the Star Hotel and later, the Manor Hotel carried on business on the second floor, with Speedy’s Liquor Store and the Black-Eyed Pea downstairs. Faced in ochre brick, the flat-roofed structure features a parapet embellished with a simple corbelled cornice and frieze cornice. The building had a “Western” storefront of rustic boarding added in 1958. It is included in the Fort Worth Stockyards Historic District.

Leave a Comment