Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery – Main

Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery is Fort Worth’s historic Jewish burial ground. In 1879, civic leader John Peter Smith donated one acre “to the Israelites of the city…to be used as a burying ground.” The Emanuel Hebrew Association was organized soon after to maintain and administer the cemetery; the association received the deed in 1882, and gave the cemetery its present name. Among the approximately 330 graves are those of many pioneer Jewish families and individuals, including Philip W. Greenwall (1841-1917), the dean of legitimate theater in Texas, and Felix P. Bath (1855-1917), at one time Texas’ foremost cotton buyer and exporter. An ornamental rock and iron fence surrounds the grounds, which are landscaped with mature trees and a profusion of native shrubs. The cemetery, owned and maintained by Congregation Beth-El since 1962 (see 207 W. Broadway), is in the midst of an expanding hospital complex. Emanuel Hebrew Rest Cemetery received an Official Texas Historical Marker in 1982.

Leave a Comment