Ernest Parker Middle School Gymnasium – Jennings

This gymnasium is part of a complex of abandoned school buildings and athletic fields covering a large city block (see 1015 S. Jennings and 309 W. Terrell). Designed by Fort Worth architect Clyde H. Woodruff, the reinforced concrete brick-clad structure was built with funds from the school district’s PWA building program. It served the neighboring Parker Junior High School, later named Ernest Parker Middle School (see 1015 S. Jennings). The cast stone ornament is delightful: frieze bands and panels depict basketballs, baseballs, footballs, dumbbells, etc. A development firm recently purchased the entire 8.5 acre site. The building appears to be eligible for the National Register for its architectural distinction. This building was demolished in 1999 as a part of the Parker Commons development. Some of the cast stone ornamentation was salvaged and used in the construction of the apartment building now located on this site. A Veteran’s Administration clinic was constructed on the site of the athletic fields in the 1990s.

Leave a Comment