Evangelistic Tabernacle, North Side Assembly of God – Exchange

Organized in 1937, the Washington Heights Assembly of God congregation moved to this site in 1938; at this time the name was changed to North Side Assembly of God. A frame structure was demolished when the present Evangelistic Tabernacle was erected in 1950. Operated more recently as Fort Worth Gospel Opry with a bookstore and coffee shop, the complex included a Sunday School and workshop. The long rectangular building is faced in yellow brick. A rounded parapet rises over the offset door to hide the gable roof behind. Below a metal canopy, the door reveals curve inward in Moderne styling. Painted and neon lettering once proclaimed the name and purpose of the structure, while neon stars and crosses on the canopy underside lit the entry.

Leave a Comment