Highway Bridge – Park Hill

This bridge is an early example of reinforced concrete bridge construction, spanning a gully that forms part of Forest Park. It was built in 1910 by John T. Hughes under the auspices of the Tarrant County Commissioners Court. Within city limits since the 1920s, the bridge is maintained by the Fort Worth Public Works Department. Additional steel and concrete reinforcement was applied in 1953. This bridge was closed for repairs in 1986 after it was discovered that a major weakening of the support piers had occurred. However, the Fort Worth City Council voted to replace the bridge with a new structure in October of that year. The new bridge opened for traffic in 1990. Its design includes some historicized features. The architect was James R. Wooten, AIA. John J. Burgess, Jr., PE and Q. Lee Sorrell III, PE were the engineers. Brown and Blakney, Inc. was the general contractor. The photo of the new bridge was taken in 2006.

Leave a Comment