House – 1222 Peach Street

1222 Peach Street [HPHD], House, c. 1898.  This is the best preserved of three similar structures in this block of Peach St., just north and east of the courthouse.  Evidently constructed as rental property by owner Sam Evans, this house housed a number of railroad employees during its early years.  Between 1934 and 1946 the property was owned by the Tarrant County Orphans Home, a bequest of Edward Disney Farmer who had owned the house during the 1920s and who dispersed his estate among several local charitable institutions.  The house is charmingly eccentric, and the tall narrow gable ends on the roof provide a genuine visual surprise for the observer.  The house is a contributor to the potential Hampton-Peach Streets Historic District.

Leave a Comment