James F. Dill Grocery – Exchange

The front elevation of this two-story brick structure presents a cutaway corner entrance and storefront windows with transoms above. On the second floor, four arched windows are surmounted by a corbelled frieze; corner piers project above the parapet. Early ownership is unclear. James F. Dill, grocer, is the first known tenant. William T. Stanford housed his furniture business here from 1912 to 1914; the painted frieze level sign from this period still remains. W. W. Seibel ran a boarding house in the structure from 1918 to 1920. From the mid-twenties to the mid-thirties, Hotel Brown, operated by Mr. Louis C. Brown, occupied the upper floors. During the following decade, the structure housed the offices of Amalgamated Meat Cutters and Butchers Workmen O.N.A. Union No. 288. It lies within the Fort Worth Stockyards Historic District.

Leave a Comment