Laneri School – Hemphill

John B. Laneri, a native of Italy, was a prominent Fort Worth businessman (see 902 S. Jennings). He built this school for boys in 1921 in memory of his first wife. Originally for grades 5-9, it served as Fort Worth’s first Catholic high school from 1928 to 1962, with classes taught by Benedictine priests until 1952. Since 1975, the Cassata Learning Center, offering GED and computer classes, has occupied the building. Extensive modifications include the painting of the brick walls and cast stone trim, the enclosure of some windows, and a complete alteration of the interior. With restoration, the building could be eligible for the National Register. The building is a contributing resource in the Fairmount-Southside Historic District (national). In 1998, upper story and basement windows were opened up. Exterior brick walls were painted gray and cast trim was painted white. Interior work included the restoration of an interior stairway to the basement and the conversion of a basement storeroom into a classroom. The project architect was Halbach-Dietz. See also 812 W. Morphy. The lower photo is from 2006.

Leave a Comment