Lehman Dry Goods Co. – Main

This narrow, two-story commercial structure with a stepped parapet features a cast-stone coping and geometric facade ornament above its much-altered storefront. Clad in dark red brick, the building was erected in 1919 by Muse and Gurley for Louis Lehman’s Dry Goods Co. Later occupants included an auto tires firm and a cafe. Furnished rooms for rent and a number of small hotels have occupied the upper level. At present, the second-story windows are boarded up; the storefront acquired permastone veneer and new shop windows in 1951 and a rustic “Western” canopy later in the 1950s. The building contributes to the Fort Worth Stockyards Historic District.

Leave a Comment