Littler House – Washington

The Littler House is a one and one-half story dwelling, rectangular in plan with a cross-gabled roof, constructed of concrete block on the ground level and half-timbered stucco on a wood frame above. A full recessed porch is supported by concrete block posts. The concrete blocks are atypical, smooth-faced with depressed bands. The house was built c. 1908 and had a succession of occupants until c. 1920, when it was purchased by Dr. William D. Littler, who operated a clinic on Pennsylvania Avenue. The Littler family lived here until 1936. As an early, well-designed example of concrete block residential construction, the house may be eligible for the National Register, though more documentation is needed. The Littler House has been demolished.

Leave a Comment