Caroll-Dillard Co./ Clyde Burns Motor/ Meador Oldsmobile – 1100 W. Seventh Street

1100 W. Seventh Street [Auto], Carroll-Dillard Co./Clyde Burns Motors/Meador Oldsmobile, c. 1926.  Constructed about 1926, this building first housed the Carroll-Dillard Co., dealers in Studebaker and Erskine motor cars.  The dealership was here for only one year, replaced by a succession of automobile dealers and, during the mid-1930s, a custom furniture shop.  Clyde Burns Motors opened here in 1944 and, for a time, advertised the services of Vera Burns, Clyde Burns’ wife, as Fort Worth’s only woman new car dealer.  The dealership, which was located here through the early 1950s, handled Nash automobiles.  An office supply firm was located here in the late 1950s and early 1960s, and was replaced by Meador Oldsmobile’s Paint and Body Shop about 1964.  A reinforced concrete building plastered with white painted stucco, the building’s second story has elaborate Spanish Revival detailing in the central bay.  The ground level storefronts have been altered by the application of red and white porcelain enamel panels.  The building is a contributor to the proposed Automobile Row Thematic Group.

Leave a Comment