Mt. Carmel Academy/All Saints Parchial School – Houston

The Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word opened their second North Side school in 1913 at this site. Mt. Carmel Academy was renamed All Saints Parochial School when the high school division was closed in 1957. The school presently serves elementary school children. Designed by an unidentified architect, the two-story brick building on a high basement features a projecting entry bay topped by a Missionesque parapet. Early photographs indicate that similar parapets once symmetrically flanked the central bay. Brick corbeling and cast-stone sill courses and coping highlight this fine building, which may be eligible for the National Register upon further research and documentation.

Leave a Comment