North Fort Worth Police Department/ North Fort Worth Waterworks Substation – Main

This handsome, two-story structure is of rectangular plan and diminutive scale, and features fine quality orange brickwork under red-tiled pyramidal roof. Rusticated limestone voussoirs form arches over the first floor windows and the central entry, which is further embellished with garlands and a bas-relief shield. A limestone belt course and brick dentils are set below the five symmetrically arranged, double- hung windows of the second story. Listings in the city directory are inconclusive regarding this structure; it may have been built as early as 1910, but more likely around 1913, to house the North Fort Worth Police Department Station and the North Fort Worth Waterworks Substation. (Curiously, directories from 1916 to 1930 list the North Fort Worth City Hall at this address, even though North Fort Worth had been annexed in 1909 by the City of Fort Worth.) A Carnegie Library, North Fort Worth Public Library, and the State Department of Public Safety occupied the structure during the l920s through the l940s. The North Side Lions Club owned the property from 1952 to 1970; retail businesses have occupied the building since that time. Future research may uncover the architect of this important building. A number of windows have been partially or entirely bricked in. The property appears to be eligible for the National Register.

Leave a Comment