O’Keefee-Long Commercial Building – Exchange

C.A. O’Keefe, vice- president of Binyon-O’Keefe Fireproof Storage and Transfer Co., and A. J. Long erected two nearly identical commercial structures between 1906 and 1910 at the major intersection in the stockyards district. Long was listed in City Directories as a stockman, and later as vice-president of American National Bank. This structure on the southwest corner contains six bays along the W. Exchange Avenue elevation and four bays along the N. Main Street front. Finely laid brick window lintels and a sheet metal cornice embellish the corner elevations; a stepped parapet with coping further adorns the north facade. First tenants of the two-story, red brick building in 1907-08 included a dry goods store, a grocery and Fort Worth Drug Co.; the latter carried on business at the site through 1920. A number of clothing and dry goods stores and cafes have located in the building over the years. The commercial building received a “Western” storefront of rustic wood siding in 1958. The structure lies within the Fort Worth Stockyards National Register Historic District.

Leave a Comment