Roseland Theater/ Marine Theater – Main

Early occupants of this site were listed in the 1918 directory as a clothes cleaners and a hardware company. The structure was rebuilt, most likely by 1920, at which time the Roseland Theater located here under the management of John N. Sparks, Jr. By 1929, L. C. Tidball ran the renamed Rose Theater. The theater name changed once again by 1945 to the Marine Theater, managed by Lee A. Burkhalter. The theater building is of rectangular plan with a flat roof. The dark red brick facade consists of a central peaked parapet flanked by end bays, which feature cast-stone and glazed green tile arched bands enclosing intricate brick work and additional cast- stone ornament. A recessed entry under a rectangular canopy appears much altered. Notes on the work of architect Ludwig B. Weinman by his grandson suggest that this structure may have been designed by him; further research may confirm the authorship of this structure. Pending further research and documentation, the theater may qualify for listing on the National Register.

Leave a Comment