Scott-Bailey House – Bird

The contract¬ing firm of Butcher and Sweeney built this house in 1918 for William Scott, an engineer with the Rock Island Railroad. In 1924, Adam A. Bailey, a freight car repairman for the Texas and Pacific Railroad, bought the house. He and his wife occupied it until 1944. The house is a large Neoclassical design with a full recessed front porch set below a steeply pitched hipped roof. The roof has a central hipped dormer with narrow horizontal windows which emphasize the low lying feeling of the house. The house is clad in false bevel drop siding, and the front porch has unusual square columns.

Leave a Comment