Smith House – Elizabeth

The Smith House is two stories and is constructed of hollow tile with white-painted stucco walls. It is rectangular in plan, with glazed green-tiled roof. The long front façade is elegantly composed of balanced elements: projecting end bays and a central pedimented portico surmounted by gabled wall dormer and flanked by Palladian windows. A full terrace extends across the front and penetrates the house via a loggia in the east bay. Designed by the firm of Wiley G. Clarkson, the house was built by C. D. Hart in 1918 for Jule G. Smith, co-owner with his brother, Bert K. Smith (see 1302 Elizabeth Boulevard), of the Smith Brothers Grain Co. The Smith family owned the property until 1972. The Smith House is a contributing resource in the Elizabeth Boulevard Historic District (local and national).

Leave a Comment