St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church – Ross

Reputed to be the first Greek Orthodox congregation in Texas, St. Demetrios Church was founded in 1910. Parishioners raised $750 in 1916 to purchase land and construct a church. The cornerstone indicates that the structure was constructed in 1917; Weinman family reminiscences and period newspaper articles indicate that Ludwig B. Weinman was the architect of the church. The dark ochre brick church has a square plan. In Byzantine style, a cross- gabled roof covers two intersecting false vaults in the interior; these are concealed by high semicircular parapets on the west, north and south elevations. The front elevation parapet is recessed to form a large arch encircling the rectangular portico, where a semicircular cast stone panel in the arch is inscribed in gilt Greek letters. The church appears to be eligible for the National Register.

Leave a Comment