Streetlights, (University Place neighborhood) – Cockrell

Ornamental streetlights, common in American cities prior to World War II, are increasingly rare. New lighting technology and cheaper fixtures continue to replace older standards. Fort Worth retains a variety of ornamental streetlights in some of its historic residential neighborhoods. These were installed in the University Place subdivision by the Eugene Ashe Electric Co. between December1927 and August 1928. The 18’ tapering octagonal shafts, constructed of concrete with steel reinforcement, have an aggregate finish that simulates granite. A single bell-top luminaire is attached to the shaft by an elongated metal casting. Westinghouse marketed this version of its Hollowspun streetlighting standards — called the “Sheridan” — at a list price of $82.50.

Leave a Comment